Thursday, December 2, 2010

Flat Screen TV Stands versus old fashion TV Cabinets

How many of you still have the old kind of televisions that are bulky and heavy and take up a lot of room? How many of you have invested in one of the new lighter flat screen televisions that can fit almost anywhere? My husband and I recently got rid of our last television that was big and bulky and very heavy to move. Thankfully, we now have two wonderful flat screen televisions that have a great picture and are easy to move.

We had fun shopping for flat screen TV stands for those two TV’s. I wish I had seen the flat screen TV stand in the picture when we were shopping several months ago. I love all the storage space in this particular TV stand. As far as I’m concerned, a woman can never have too much closet space or storage space – especially, since we live in such a compact log cabin in the country. Perhaps one day, we can budget to replace one of the TV stands for this one or one similar to the one in the picture.

As a bit of comic relief, I am reminded of one of my father-in-law’s eccentric notions. Before he passed, he was absolutely convinced that his television cabinet with built-in black and white TV would actually add to the selling value of the house.  

My husband would protest, “But that television doesn’t work and hasn’t worked in years.”

My father-in-law would state, “But the cabinet makes a great display table.”

At one point, my mother-in-law had to sleep in the den in a hospital bed. She could not get up the stairs to the bedrooms due to her Parkinson’s. So we actually put one of those bulky televisions on top of the TV cabinet so she had a working television to watch.

After my mother-in-law had to move permanently into a nursing home due to her various maladies, we have not even been able to give away that old-fashioned television cabinet with non-working TV.

 I recall that my paternal grandmother had one of those same-type cabinets as well; however, her television worked at least. Of course, it was a black and white TV – but it worked. I don’t know what ever happened to that cabinet. Sadly, that grandmother died at the age of 97 in the year 1997. I still miss her to this day.

I guess it is due to the holidays, for I find that just looking at various types of furniture has me taking a walk down memory lane. What about you? Do you have special memories that you associate with certain pieces of furniture? If so, I would love to hear it.

Happy holidays to you and the people you love. Thanks for listening! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment